Cauliflower has to be one of my absolute favourite vegetables, not only for its delicate flavour and wonderful texture but also for its sheer versatility. This soup has a wonderful smooth creamy texture and the cauliflower flavour is lifted by the citrusy freshness of the Lemon Za’atar which is one of my favourite store cupboard ingredients. It’s wonderful on Chicken and Steaks and lends itself perfectly to this soup. It’s so easy to make and I’ve have a recipe for it here http://kenmarefoodies.com/zaatar-lemon-roast-chicken/
As we fast forward to Autumn and back to school this soup will help provide a little comfort for when the leaves start once again to whittle from the trees…
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 head of cauliflower broken into smaller florets
- 2 tbsp. lemon za’atar
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 1.25 litres of hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper
- Rose Harissa and Flaked Almonds for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat and sweat them for 5 minutes with the lid on until nice and soft
- Add the cauliflower and season with pepper and a little salt (there’s salt in the za’atar so go easy on it) stir well to combine before replacing the lid and leaving it sweat for another 5-6 minutes
- Add the lemon za’atar making sure to mix through and allow to cook for 1 minute before adding the hot chicken stock and ground almonds.
- Check the seasoning again before placing the lid on and allowing to simmer for roughly 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is nicely softened.
- Blitz with a soup gun and pour into warmed soup bowls.Top with a tsp. of rose harissa (optional) and some flaked almonds.