Perhaps one of the most comforting and delicious things to eat. This Macaroni Cheese is one all the family will love. It’s packed full of flavour from Garlic and Thyme with a lovely lift from the Mustard and Cayenne Pepper. The Breadcrumb topping adds a gorgeous crunch and the addition of ham will keep the carnivores happy!
This recipe serves approximately 3 so feel free to double it up. The secret is to not let the sauce dry out in the oven and you should have more than enough sauce here to generously coat the pasta. While I’m typing I’m naturally thinking of other ways and something tell me a Blue Cheese and Spinach version would be amazing as would one with chopped Tomatoes, Chorizo and Smoked Paprika…….but for now my kitchen is closed 😉
- 40g Flour
- 40g Butter
- 600ml Milk
- 250g Cheese ( I used a mix of Cheddar and Parmesan )
- 4-5 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp English Mustard
- 1 heaped tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh Thyme
- 1/2-1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 200g of Macaroni
- Ham, cubed ( I used leftover Bacon from our dinner and it was approximately 1 cup full )
- Cook your Macaroni as per packet instructions and preheat the oven to 170 degrees (fan) Gas Mark 3. While the pasta is cooking melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium to low heat. Once the butter is melted add in the flour and stir well for 1 minute of so, taking care not to let it burn.
- Whisk in the milk bit by bit making sure there are no lumps until the sauce is nicely thickened.
- Add in the garlic, mustard, cheese and remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine, season with Salt and Pepper.
- Grease an oven dish. Add the cooked Pasta to the Cheese Sauce before pouring into the oven dish. Sprinkle with Breadcrumbs and bake for 15-20 mins until bubbling and golden but making sure not to let it dry out.
- Enjoy with a side of Garlic Bread and Mixed Leaf Salad.