Sausage rolls are one of those funny little things that seem to unite people, young and old. Whenever I post a photo of them on social media I get inundated with requests for the recipe…..so here goes!
Feel free to vary the mustard used and to add different herbs. We love Sage in ours but Tarragon works well too.
- 450 g of sausage meat either from your butcher or squeeze good quality sausages out of their cases
- 1 packet of chilled ready rolled puff pastry, I used Lidl or Aldi
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 heaped tsp of Dijon mustard, feel free to add a second if you wish
- 1-2 tsp of copped fresh sage
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 220 degs/Gas Mark 7
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl except for the pastry and the egg (was that obvious?!?!😜😜) and mix well to combine.
- Lay the pastry on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Cut a line down the centre of the pastry to make 2 individual sheets.
- Put an even amount of sausage meat in the middle each pastry running from top to bottom (you want to leave a little room between the sausage meat and the edge of the pastry so you can fold it over easily.
- Egg wash all around the edges, fold the pastry over and seal the edges by crimping with your fingers or a fork.
- Prick all over before cutting into even sized individual rolls.
- Place in the hot oven and bake for around 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through.