My first time to taste the sausage meat stuffing in this recipe was on my introduction to Christmas in Ballydehob visiting my then future ‘in laws’. Mr C had already filled me in on the finer points of his mothers sausage meat stuffing and I was under no illusion as to how much he loved it or to the fact that nobody would ever make stuffing quiet like hers. Natural curiosity prevailed and I found myself dying to taste it. From that first mouthful I was hooked and 25 years later Christmas would not be the same without it. I remember so many Christmas nights gathered around the table in Ballydehob playing board games while devouring Sandwiches made of moist Turkey, Sausage Meat Stuffing and Cranberry Sauce.
Now that I have my own 4 boys the tradition has continued. Come September they begin to talk about our sausage meat stuffing that I make using my mother in laws recipe and come Christmas Day elbows and forks will clash across the table as they battle each other for the biggest or crispiest piece of sausage meat stuffing and I have no doubt that their Grandmothers recipe will find its way into their homes and onto their Christmas Tables, the way recipes should be, carrying on traditions and making lifetimes of memories.
You can double or triple the quantities in this recipe. It can be made in advance and freezes perfectly.
- 30g Butter
- 4 Streaky Rashers, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp sherry
- 3 Tbsp chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped Fresh Thyme
- Grated zest and juice of 1 Lemon
- 250g Sausage Meat
- 125g Breadcrumbs
- 1 Medium Egg
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 170degs/gas mark3. Heat a frying pan and melt the butter. Add the onion and bacon and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the Sherry and allow it to absorb into the onion and bacon mixture, set aside and allow to cool.
- Place the sausage meat in a large bowl and add the cooled mixture and the rest of the ingredients, season with a little salt and pepper.
- Grease an oven dish and place it in the oven for 30 minutes, after the 30 minutes remove and give a good stir through then place back in the over for another 30.
- Remove from the oven and give another stir through and enjoy with lots of Turkey, gravy and all the trimmings!