We are huge fans of gnocchi in this house. It’s a super alternative to pasta, it cooks in jig time and I love the texture. What makes it even more appealing is that it’s really cheap and you know it’s cooked when it rises to the top of the saucepan! I’m all for that…the easier the better.
This recipe is a great way to use up left over cooked chicken if you have it. It would work just as well replacing the chicken with a good quality chorizo which turns it into the ideal economical dinner…..this is for the students that are following me on Snapchat that are eagerly awaiting this recipe….you know who you are ladies!!! Again bulk it out with veg. If you are vegeterian you can just omit all meat, you have enough of a meaty texture in the aubergine which gives a gorgeous flavour to the sauce.
I make my own tomato sauce all the time, once you start you will never go back to a jar. It’s so simple and straightforward and has a fresh flavour that you will love! There is a link to it on here http://kenmarefoodies.com/spaghetti-tomato-basil-parmesan-meatballs/ I don’t add the wine for this dish, I just use onion, garlic, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper……see it couldn’t be easier!
- 1 quantity of homemade tomato and basil sauce, recipe link in the post above
- 1 x 500g packet of Gnocchi cooked as per packet instructions
- 3 x cooked chicken fillets or approx 300-350g leftover cooked chicken
- 1/2 aubergine, cut into bite size chunks
- 1/2 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 punnet of mushrooms, washed and cut into quarters
- 2 balls of fresh mozarella
- 15g packet of basil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degs, gas mark 4.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium to high heat and when hot add the veg and sautee until soft and golden. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add in the chopped chicken and the tomato sauce, stir well to combine then mix in the cooked gnocchi. Check the seasoning and if necessary add more.
- Take a medium sized oven proof dish and pour the mixture into it. Tear up the mozarella balls and the basil, sprinkle the basil all over and then top with the mozarella.
- Place in the preheated oven and baeke for approx 30 minutes until it is all heated through and the mozarella is bubbling and golden.
This is delicious see especially just as it is or with some homemade garlic bread and green salad