What could be more perfect for evoking childhood memories of long hot summers? We have managed that this year and although the rain is coming down this week we are not giving up hope of the sunshine returning.
I have been asked before what was my favourite smell, it is an easy answer, it is lemon. I love the fresh clean citrus smell, it gets deep into your senses and energises and awakens every sense in your body.
I love to make things that my kids will love. I like it to be good for them but also the kind of stuff that memories will be made of….in years to come when my grandchildren sit on my deck drinking my lemonade licking their lips I want my boys to be transported back to that time and place where they felt safe, happy, loved and looked after.
We adore this recipe by Clodagh Mc Kenna and I hope you do too. The Cordial makes the perfect gift poured into a Kilner bottle. I also like the cordial mixed with sparkling water and poured over Vodka on ice.
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 2 tspn grated lime rind
- 200ml fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 200ml fresh squeezed lime juice
- 250g caster sugar
- 600 ml boiling water
- Place all the rind and juice plus sugar in a saucepan.
- Add the boiling water and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave to cool.
- Put the Cordial a into sterilised bottle.
- To serve use one cup of cordial to to two thirds of a cup of chilled sparkling mineral water or iced water.
This will last up to three months in a sterilised bottle in the fridge but ours only lasts a few days!