This is a recipe I have since my oldest son who is now 23 was a baby. My mother gave it to me way back then when I was trying to stand on my own two feet and prove myself as a cook to my very new little family! I had forgotten about it for years and poked it out recently. I am ashamed to say that I had forgotten just how wonderful it is!!!
Once I started gathering the ingredients to marinate the chicken wonderful memories came flooding back and I was transported back to a long summer evening on Ballyrizod Beach in West Cork over 20 years ago where I cooked these on a BBQ for a beach party we had with a group of friends after work one long summer evening. These were a massive hit with the crowd after an evening swim washed down with some cold beers!
All the ingredients are easy to find. You can also use this recipe for spare ribs or to cook some pork belly strips low and slow. The drumsticks are delicious cold with coleslaw and potato salad (I’m thinking ahead for those of you with Communions and Confimations coming up or for a summer picnic ) but I served these on Friday evening as part of my weekend blow out in a bowl on top of homemade chips topped with lots of chopped fresh red chilli and coriander. It was pure indulgence and the happpiest most contented feeling ensued.
I used one pack of chicken drumsticks which are so economical, there is enough in this I think for 2 adults and 2 children but you can easily double the ingredients and the quantity of chicken. I’m writing the recipe as it was written by my mother for me in Fluid Ounces…..
I hope you enjoy and I hope these give some of you happy memories this summer perhaps in your picnics on warm sandy beaches.
- 3 fl oz of Soy Sauce
- 4 fl oz water
- 2 tbsp of light golden brown sugar
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp of red wine
- 2 1/2 tbsp of Hoi Sin Sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp of Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- Place all the ingredients for the marinade into a large bowl and marinade the chicken for at least 4 to 5 hours or overnight if possible.
- Heat the oven to 190 degs or gas mark 5. Remove the chicken from the bowl making sure to keep the marinade. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. After this time take the chicken out of the oven and brush all over generously with the marinate.
- Place the chicken back in the oven for another 15 minutes and remove again and baste. Return to the oven for a final 15. The chicken should be sticky and have a nice dark glossy colour.
- While the chicken is cooking for the last 5 minutes place the rest of the reserved marinade into a saucepan over a medium to hot heat and bring to the boil allowing it to reduce down by approx 1/3. Mix 1 tsp of cornflour with 1 tsp of water and stir this into the hot sauce, it should thicken immediately.
- Once the chicken is cooked place in your favourite bowl and pour over the thickened sauce.